Veggie Heaven: Recipes, Bay Area Restaurant Reviews, Life, and more!

2.13.2011

RECIPE: Delia's Cheesy Lentils

My friend Delia made this delicious dish for me when I first started grad school. I owe it so much, because it began my love affair with lentils. This is my #1 comfort food... It fills you up, takes two minutes of prep time, and is warm, cheesy, and generally fabulous. Give it a try... You might fall in love, too!


Delia's Cheesy Lentils
Vegetarian, skip cheese garnish to make vegan.

Ingredients:
2 14 oz cans or 1 32 oz. package of vegetable broth (I use Imagine Food's vegan No Chicken Broth)
1/2 cup brown rice
3/4 cup brown lentils (you can use other colors, but brown gives a nice consistency)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon-ish of oregano
1 teaspoon-ish of basil
1 teaspoon garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Mix together into medium pot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Stir occasionally. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove lid and simmer for an additional 25 to 35 minutes, adding more liquid if necessary. Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese or plain yogurt. Enjoy :)

Makes two GIANT servings or three regular servings.

Nutrition Information (for 1/2 of recipe, aka giant serving, with 1/8 cup 2% shredded cheese):
425 calories, 5g fat, 40g carbohydrates, 8g fiber, 14g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment