Veggie Heaven: Recipes, Bay Area Restaurant Reviews, Life, and more!

7.19.2011

RECIPE: Beet Soup with Potatoes and Beet Greens

When I received a farm box including beets, I wanted to find a recipe that would allow me to use not only the popular purple superstar but also the lesser-known leafy sidekick. I've always composted the greens (or, when possible, fed them to my awesome guinea pigs), but I know that they're rockstars nutritionally and are supposedly tasty. They're more tough than most greens that I'm familiar with, so I have to admit that I was a bit intimidated.

When I found Cooking Light's soup recipe, it seemed like a winner. I'm scarfing down my second bowl right now, and I'm impressed. I made a few modifications, but as always, customize away! I served it with lightly toasted sourdough and creamy goat cheese.

Beet Soup with Potatoes and Beet Greens
Serves 6 (or, in my case, 3 servings for one really hungry girl)

Ingredients 
1 T. olive oil 
1 c. chopped onion 
1 c. diagonally sliced carrot 
1 1/2 c. finely chopped peeled beets
1 1/2 c. finely chopped red or purple potatoes 
1 1/2 c. water 
2 T. tomato paste (Didn't have any, so I pureed one tomato in my food processor) 
1/8 t. black pepper (I hate black pepper, so I omitted it) 
21 oz. vegetable broth (the recipe calls for beef broth, which would give a heartier taste) 
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained (I only had the kind with green chiles, which I liked) 
4 c. coarsely chopped beet greens
1 T. brown sugar

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
2. Stir in beets and next 6 ingredients (beets through tomatoes). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in beet greens and sugar; cook 5 minutes.

Slow-cooker directions
Complete Step 1 in a small frying pan. Transfer to slow-cooker, add all ingredients except sugar and greens, and cook on low 5-6 hours. Stir in greens and sugar, cover, and allow to cook until greens are tender (about 15 minutes).

Nutrition Information (per 1 1/3 c. serving): Calories: 135, Fat: 1g, Carbs: 22g, Fiber: 2.8, Protein: 6g

No comments:

Post a Comment