Veggie Heaven: Recipes, Bay Area Restaurant Reviews, Life, and more!

3.22.2011

RECIPE: Peterson's Chocolate Zucchini Cake

Ok, I know what you're thinking. Zucchini? In a cake? Gross. Sarah's really gone off the deep end this time... Must've been all those soy products.

Not true. This cake has been my favorite since I was a little girl when my mom first got this recipe from the family-owned Peterson's Produce Stand in Delano, Minnesota. The zucchini adds luscious moisture to the cake without imparting any kind of odd vegetable flavor. Just don't tell people what they're eating until after they've already eaten it ;)

Peterson's Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Serves 10 people (or just me)

Ingredients:
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. canola oil (substitute applesauce for a lower-fat recipe)
2 T. vanilla
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2 1/2 c. flour
2 c. grated zucchini1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar, eggs, vanilla, cocoa, oil, and milk in a large bowl.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just blended.
4. Stir in zucchini.
5. Pour into a 9"x12" baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, or if you're feeling especially Minnesotan, use a bundt pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah! Long time no chat!! It's Sarah Holm from HS. Your blog came up on my facebook home page and I am not a vegetarian officially but I'm trying to eat more vegetarian than not. I think I'm going to try the curried lentils and sweet potatoes recipe tonight and I'm excited:) I'll let you know how it turns out. Congratulations on your marriage as well. Hope all is well and I'll be stopping back periodically for new delicious treats!

    ReplyDelete